skip navigation

Maple Grove Crimson boys’ soccer earns split

By JM, 09/08/16, 12:30AM CDT


Maple Grove rallied to beat Armstrong but lost to Coon Rapids in last week’s boys’ soccer action.

The Crimson scored five unanswered goals after falling behind and defeated the Armstrong Falcons 5-2 Aug. 30 at Crimson Stadium.

Armstrong jumped out to a 2-0 lead after just 11 minutes. Maple Grove battled back through the remainder of the first half and finally found the goal when junior Jeff Clune took a deflected pass from senior Tyler Markve past two Falcon defenders and chipped a shot past the net minder to put the Crimson on the board.

MG’s Karpeh Zoogley (10) heads a corner kick towards the goal in the game against Armstrong. (Photo by Rich Moll-

MG’s Karpeh Zoogley (10) heads a corner kick towards the goal in the game against Armstrong. (Photo by Rich Moll-

Within minutes of the start of the second half, the Crimson turned on the pressure with junior Brody Carron sending a header just wide of the net, and senior Ryan DeBois taking a point blank shot on the Falcon keeper, Bennett Schwab. Finally, the pressure paid off when sophomore Jack Gleckler sent a pass up field to DeBois, who took the ball near the right goal line before passing it back to a wide open Gleckler, who beat the goalie to the lower left side to tie the game.

Midway through the half, the Crimson took the lead when senior Karpeh Zoogley headed the ball up to DeBois. The senior captain had his back to the goal, pushed left then turned right, nudged the ball to the right and found a seem between the defender and goalie for the 3-2 lead.

Two minutes later Glecker scored his second goal of the night when he took a pass from sophomore Cameron Barbour, raced through the middle of the Falcon defense and ripped off a shot just under the diving Falcon goalie.

In the final minutes of the game, junior Josh Machtemes found DeBois on a throw-in. DeBois dribbled the ball through defenders to the left corner of the box, turned and drilled a shot past the Falcon goalie to up the score to 5 -2.

Maple Grove coach Greg Leininger stated that senior Tyler Markve sparked the turnaround by winning eight headers, a number of 50-50 balls and showing senior leadership in the middle of the field that kept the ball in the Crimson’s possession.

As the calendar turned to September, the Crimson traveled to Coon Rapids to play the Cardinals in a day game. The Crimson looked and played sluggish in the mid-day heat, losing their first game of the season 3-2. Maple Grove played from behind, as they have all season, as the Cardinals jumped out an early 1-0 lead.

Zoogley evened the score at one early in the second half when Gleckler lofted a free kick toward the goal and Zoogley rose up to flick a header past the goalie. The Cardinals battled back to take the lead midway through the half, and iced the game with four minutes left, taking a 3-1 lead.

The Crimson didn’t give up. With seconds left in the game senior captain Juan Mantilla passed the ball to DeBois, who brought the Crimson within one, but it was not enough as the Cardinals held on to win.

The Crimson next host Elk River Sept. 6 at 5 p.m.

Published September 8, 2016 at 1:31 am Press & News